Well it’s here… the end of the coursera.org course on Songwriting. It was an excellent experience. I ran out of time, naturally, so I didn’t quite nail it, but it was close… I posted the song with two minutes to spare.
This week we had to decide how to weight our vocal lines – front-heavy (primary stress on the downbeat) or back-heavy (primary stress on a weak bar downbeat, or a non-downbeat). I had a lot of fun trying to decide what was happening in this song. The stress in the chorus is the main change, since the bridge and the verses are mostly front-heavy.
Go have a listen and please let me know what you think! I decided the prosody was suffering in the previous version of the song, from a sort of groovy hipster silliness that didn’t suit the material. This time, I went for guitar shrapnel and exploding drums… which seemed more appropriate to the topic.